Sunday, December 27, 2009

What is the Mission of Art?


One of the great questions for myself in my art revolves around discovering my mission as an artist. What is my mission? To be sure, for those of you who have been following this blog, some of it is sharing with others lessons İ have learned along the way that İ hope will be of use to others who are awakening to the need to follow their bliss. In creating art , I am following my bliss and this fulfills one of my personal missions in life. While İ believe that creating in and of itself is the mission of artists, İ also believe that artists have a role to play in saying something with their art, something that is hopefully meaningful and even transformative to others. Toward this end, one of the best texts I have ever read about art is The Mission of Art by Alex Grey. You must read this book. I generally avoid books about art other than how to books these days, but this one grabbed me from cover to cover. I have gone through the trouble of reserving a copy for you, at the side of this blog.:)Happy Holidays.

2 comments: